I will say that I've noticed a delay in having the network come up too,
but that predates the new network-manage, and the latest systemd.  It's
been going on for a while now but I haven't managed to report a bug on
it yet.

I have several startup apps configured in my Gnome environment,
including Chromium, Emacs, Claws, and Firefox (yes, two browsers :).
Immediately after a reboot and login, once say Chromium comes up, many
of the pages are reporting errors that they can't get to the domain.
Just visiting the tab is enough to trigger Chromium to do an auto-reload
of the page, and that always works.  Or if I have to manually reload, it
works.  There's just some small bit of time after a reboot+login where
the network is inaccessible.

But I don't think this is at all related to this bug.  I suppose I
should try to figure out which package is at fault and report a bug on
it.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  systemd-resolved’s 127.0.0.53 server does not follow CNAME records

Status in systemd:
  New
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  $ systemd-resolve www.freedesktop.org
  www.freedesktop.org: 131.252.210.176
                       2610:10:20:722:a800:ff:feda:470f
                       (annarchy.freedesktop.org)

  -- Information acquired via protocol DNS in 673.6ms.
  -- Data is authenticated: no
  $ ping www.freedesktop.org
  ping: www.freedesktop.org: Name or service not known
  $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
  # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
  #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
  # 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
  # run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

  nameserver 127.0.0.53
  $ dig +no{cmd,comments,stats} www.freedesktop.org @127.0.0.53
  ;www.freedesktop.org.         IN      A
  www.freedesktop.org.  7146    IN      CNAME   annarchy.freedesktop.org.
  $ dig +no{cmd,comments,stats} www.freedesktop.org @8.8.8.8
  ;www.freedesktop.org.         IN      A
  www.freedesktop.org.  14399   IN      CNAME   annarchy.freedesktop.org.
  annarchy.freedesktop.org. 14399       IN      A       131.252.210.176

  I trust it needn’t be explained why this makes the internet almost
  completely useless in zesty.