I've finally managed to find a better alternative to the Chrome
extension, which bypasses my blocklist of unwanted domain names:

pdnsd - a proxy DNS server with permanent caching

Although its latest version "1.2.9a-par" dates back to 2012, and it can
be found on Launchpad with some difficulty if you use Ubuntu later than
Wily or Xenial, it still works just fine!

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dnsmasq in Ubuntu.

  dnsmasq requires restart randomly now and then in order to access
  random URLs

Status in dnsmasq package in Ubuntu:

  I use dnsmasq along with a long list of domains blocked in order to
  prevent spyware, malware, etc. on my personal computer.

  I've begun having frequent DNS problems after upgrading my Ubuntu (64
  bit) system from 16.04 to 16.10.

  From time to time a random URL address suddenly becomes unreachable
  with varying error messages, most common one that I remember is some
  sort of a DNS ERROR.

  I've found that the only remedy is this "sudo /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart".
  After that, the problem disappears - for some time.

  Such URL addresses cannot be accessed system-wide until dnsmasq
  service is restarted, but they can be accessed via Tor Browser only,
  which bypasses dnsmasq I guess.