After some days of working under the old core and installing updates
that followed thereon everything's returned to normal work.

But I still do not know what it was!

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Neither wireless nor wired connections after updating core from
  4.4.0-71 to 4.4.0-72

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
  After updating the core to 4.4.0-72, suggested by Software Update Manager,
Network Manager does not see Wi-Fi.
  Initially when Ubuntu is loaded the sign of Network Manager does not appear
in tray. Wireless button flashes orange instead of white and doesn't react on
pressing. When I'm trying to open Network Manager through System Settings it
flashes a notification that some connections are not suitable for this version.
When closing the notification the only thing manager shows is proxy settings
and the only thing it suggests for adding is VPN. Not any word about wireless
or wired connections at all!
  As for Apport it's still keeping silence. Drivers remained the same.
  As I checked there are no any kind of block for the connections (neither soft
nor hard). When I boot with core 4.4.0-71 everything works perfectly as it did
until updating.

  Please ask me and possibly guide me if solution needs more
  information, logs, etc.