Can confirm, this bug affects me.

  recovery mode gets borked after some time out

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  (Linux mint 18 / Xenial)

  after booting in recovery mode from grub.
  If you just wait 30-60seconds, a new stream of messages appear and something
gets messed up, you can't use recovery mode any more, you have to do a hard
reboot.

  You don't need to do something in particular for this to happen,
  simply some time out occurs.

  -------------------

  more precisely, one of the messages say(copied manually):

  "[FAILED] Failed to start Console System on Startup logging.
  see 'systemctl status console-kit-log-system-start.service' for more details.

  It seams, it tries to launch a second recovery mode on top of the
  previous one after the error.

  I confirm, this is happening on both my PC linux mint 18 64bits,
  laptop linux mint 18 32bits and some one else from a forum on a
  ThinkPad X201 with Mint 18 KDE 64-bit.

  On my systems, both are fully up to date, 32 and 64 bit. Kernels don't
  seam to change anything.

  systemd version 229-4ubuntu11