Update: Tried opening the test file with different programs. Here is a
summary.

Bad: Gimp, Inkscape, Okular, Evince, Libreoffice, pdf2svg (open svg file in
Inkscape)
Good: Firefox, Imagemagick, pdf2gs (open ps file in evince)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to poppler in Ubuntu.

  Evince/Okular displays incorrect characters (Regression?)

Status in poppler package in Ubuntu:

  See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/poppler/+bug/518236

  There seems to be a regression bug exactly as described in the linked
  bug report, in the currently fully patched ubuntu 16.04.

  I found this problem recently with a pdf prepared by origin on
  windows. The file contains mu characters. I came accross this bug
  report, and the datasheet posted by the OP, on page 6, lower right,
  shows missing characters in Okular 0.24.2 with PDF Backend 0.6.5. (I
  am attaching two images, one by okular and one by Firefox). Evince
  also renders wrongly.

  libpoppler is 0.41.0-0ubuntu1.1.

  Release:      16.04