Ok, I got a simpler test case for (a) that doesn't involve setting up
FreeIPA, PKINIT or OTP. I'll update the bug description about it
tomorrow and then proceed with the SRU paperwork and actual packages.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to krb5 in Ubuntu.

  krb5-user: kinit fails for OTP user when using kdc discovery via DNS

Status in krb5 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in krb5 source package in Zesty:
  In Progress
Status in krb5 package in Debian:

  Zesty is now affected, please see the debian bug
  and upstream bug http://krbdev.mit.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=8554

  Would it be possible to get 1.15.1 (already released upstream) in
  zesty/zesty-updates?

  Thanks
  Jochen