Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) reached end-of-life on April 30, 2011.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Please upgrade to the latest version and re-test.

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

** Project changed: pulseaudio => mir

** No longer affects: mir

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  speakers cannot be muted when using headphones regression (karmic)

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-media

  Until Jaunty my headphones were activated automatically and speakers
  muted when I plugged the headphones. Since Karmic, the headphone
  output is not activated automatically. There is no way to activate the
  headphones manually by the 'Sound Preferences' gui, i.e. 'gnome-
  volume-manager' or 'pavucontrol'. When I change 'Connector' from
  'Sound Preferences -> Output' from 'Analog Output' to 'Analog
  Headphones' the speakers are muted, but the headphones do not work.
  The only possibility to activate the headphones properly is by
  activating the 'Headphone' switch in 'gnome-alsamixer' (anyway this
  leaves the speakers unmuted).

  UPDATE:
  Since the headphones are working now, there is still no possibility do
disable the speakers without muting the headphones too

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386