"Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu."

"Please upgrade to the latest version and re-test."

How about you test it? It's simply a case of booting a live CD.

The lack of attention to major problem, which cause someone hearing
damage if you were unlucky enough to boot whilst wearing earplugs, is
lamentable.

Assigning this "wishlist" status ensured that it never got attended to despite
commenters having identified the problem and provided a very simple fix.

Hopeless.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  X login screen volume always set to max; crazy loud

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gdm

  Whenever I boot my laptop from scratch (i.e. not resuming from
  standy/hibernate), the X/gdm login screen will play a sound effect
  when it's ready for me to log in.

  The problem is, this sound effect is always played at the hardware's
  maximum volume setting (or at least, something insanely loud) which is
  extremely annoying for other people nearby (and me!)

  gdm/something should set the volume to some sane level prior to
  playing this sound. Even better if "gdmsetup" were to allow
  configuration of the volume.

  Note, I'm aware of some WARs:
  * Disable the login sound. Not acceptable: Simply disabling the feature
because it's buggy doesn't actually fix the underlying bug.
  * Plug in headphones, or a dummy jack. Not acceptable: I don't use headphones
and hence don't carry them around. I don't want some dummy jack plugged into
the side of my laptop, thus changing the laptop's shape (and, I'd have to
unplug it after login to use sound)
  * Various script hacks with "alsactl save/restore". Not acceptable: This
feature should "just work" out of the box without my Grandma having to hack at
arcane scripts or config files.

  Note: This issue is visible in Jaunty Jackalope i386 (and presumably
  all arch's) on either the live CD or an HD-based installation. Note
  that to fix this on the live CD, a gdmsetup-based volume configuration
  option wouldn't be useful, because a) it wouldn't solve the issue for
  the first boot, and b) there's nowhere to store the configuration
  across reboots (or if there is, it's sufficiently complex that my
  Grandma couldn't use it)