Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) reached end-of-life on April 30, 2011.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Please upgrade to the latest version and re-test.

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  pulseaudio dies several times per day

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  I frequently find that sound suddenly stops when I am using Amarok and
  I get a message saying that the connection has been broken. Once this
  has happened, if I then try to make a Skype call, or play a test sound
  in Skype, Skype will freeze. I say that PulseAudio dies because I
  assume that it dies and respawns, but I do not know this for certain.

  I am using Amarok 1.4 from a PPA, as opposed to the version that
  shipped with Kubuntu Jaunty, but I am using the standard Karmic
  PulseAudio.

  One thing I have also noticed is that quite often I try to play a
  Flash video on the Web and I find that the web player is silent. Only
  running killall npviewer.bin and starting again brings the sound back.
  Obviously I suspect this might be connected, but I don't know this for
  certain.

  I have not observed any such misbehaviour AFAIR in connection with any
  other app,

  ArecordDevices:
   **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
   card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  robert    13725 F.... pulseaudio
                        robert    22350 F.... kmix
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xfe100000 irq 17'
     Mixer name : 'Conexant CX20549 (Venice)'
     Components : 'HDA:14f15045,17aa20db,00100100'
     Controls      : 18
     Simple ctrls  : 8