Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) reached end-of-life on May 9, 2013.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test.

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Headphones are selected by default on boot

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Every time I boot and log in, headphones are selected as the output
  device, even without any headphones being plugged in. This essentially
  means that I need to switch to speakers manually in sound settings ->
  output -> connector. Unsure if this is a pulseaudio or alsa bug
  causing it.

  Using Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit, here's some further info in case it's any
  use:

  cat /proc/asound/cards
   0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                        HDA Intel PCH at 0xdf600000 irq 44

  apt-cache policy pulseaudio
  pulseaudio:
    Installed: 1:1.0-0ubuntu3.1