Indeed it should be reasonable to do so.  Note that there are cases,
including unprivileged containers, where file capabilities cannot be
set, so the packaging would have to gracefully handle (i.e. ignore) that
failure rather than fail the package install.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libcap2 in Ubuntu.

  Default capability of cap_setfcap+i should be set on setcap

Status in libcap2 package in Ubuntu:

  If I grant a user (via pam_cap) cap_setfcap+i, I would then expect
  them to be able to use setcap without sudo. setcap is not provided
  with any default file capabilities however, so either the user has to
  sudo, or I have to grant the setfcap capability to setcap with setcap.

  In my mind, it would be reasonable to grant setfcap+i to setcap by
  default on installation.