Public bug reported:

On Ubuntu-mate 16.04.2, with FreeIPA 4.3.1.0, SSSD 1.13.4-1  and LightDM
1.18.3 (with lightdm-gtk-greeter 2.0.1-2) I am not seeing the normal
prompts that should come up when a user's password has expired. When a
user attempts to log in with an expired password, they should be
notified that their password has expired, and then prompted to re-enter
their current password. If their current password is accepted, they
should then be prompted to enter a new password. If that password meets
the system's requirements, they should then be prompted to enter their
new password a second time to confirm it.

On my system I am seeing the first message, the user is informed that
their password has expired and must be changed. However, I am not seeing
any subsequent prompts. The user is presented with a blank password
field three times with no instruction. Their login will succeed if they
know they need to enter their current password, press enter, enter their
new password, press enter, and then enter their new password again, and
press enter, there is just no dialog to inform them of this.

If I install GDM on the same system and set it as the default, it works
correctly. A text notification is displayed, telling the user what to
enter in the password field (i.e "Current Password", "New Password",
"Confirm New Password"). If I install the Unity-greeter that comes with
Ubuntu 16.04 standard, it also works correctly.

** Affects: lightdm (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Change expired password dialog missing

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu: