steps 1) and 2) really helped me to make this work

now I am wondering where in the Ubuntu documentation I could find about
this ?

I see similar questions on the Internet, with most responses like
'revert to the old way of /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules',
'disable net.ifnames', 'link /dev/null into /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-
setup-link.rules', etc.

Only here on Launchpad I was able to get the proper and working response from
you
How did you learn about doing this right ? :>

  systemd/udev does not rename network interfaces specified in .link
  files

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  $ ip link show
  2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state
UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
      link/ether d0:50:99:76:a1:bf brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

  $ cat /etc/systemd/network/eth0.link
  [Match]
  MACAddress=d0:50:99:76:a1:bf
  [Link]
  Name=eth0

  I am pretty sure that MAC addresses do match
  And I don't change net.ifnames to 0 :

  $ cat /proc/cmdline
  BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-87-generic.efi.signed
root=/dev/mapper/vg_smart-root_smart ro

  then :

  $ sudo udevadm test-builtin net_setup_link /sys/class/net/enp2s0
  [sudo] password for mwg:
  calling: test-builtin
  === trie on-disk ===
  tool version:          229
  file size:         6841778 bytes
  header size             80 bytes
  strings            1755242 bytes
  nodes              5086456 bytes
  Load module index
  timestamp of '/etc/systemd/network' changed
  Parsed configuration file /etc/systemd/network/eth0.link
  Parsed configuration file /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link
  Created link configuration context.
  ID_NET_DRIVER=r8169
  Config file /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link applies to device enp2s0
  ID_NET_LINK_FILE=/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link
  Unload module index
  Unloaded link configuration context.

  (and, surely, the interface is renamed from eth0 to enp2s0 on boot,
  but not renamed back afterwards)

  can you please tell where I could be wrong ?

  on my existing systems I still keep MAC->ifname relations in
  /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules inherited from past Ubuntu
  versions. But this is a new setup of Ubuntu 16.04 and I would like to
  configure it in the new & recommended way.

  thanks in advance for your replies