Public bug reported:

I'm using Gnome together with LightDM and am trying to get my background
slideshow controlled properly. Unfortunately, this is something several
people seem to have tried before, and even with Ubuntu 16.04LTS it seems
to be something that is quite difficult to accomplish.

I've added hooks in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf for the two events
session-setup-script and session-cleanup-script. Now it turns out that
session-setup-script is called properly when I first log on with
lightdm. When I log out, session-cleanup-script is invoked. However,
each time the session is locked (I needed to install light-locker for a
secure screen lock for the lightdm/gnome combination which is a story of
its own...) and then unlocked again, upon unnnlocking the session-
cleanup-script callback hook is invoked, too.

I can't see why this should be the case and consider this a bug. It
makes it impossible for me right now to distinguish between an unlock
(where at best I'd like to ensure that the desktop background slideshow
is running) and a logout scenario where I'd like to stop the slideshow
for good.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Package: lightdm 1.18.3-0ubuntu1.1
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.10
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: GNOME
Date: Sun Aug 13 21:39:51 2017
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
SourcePackage: lightdm
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to xenial on 2017-04-24 (110 days ago)

** Affects: lightdm (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug xenial

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  lightdm callbacks session-setup-script and session-cleanup-script
  called at unexpected occasions

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu: