Looks like enabling openjpeg2 would need an old MIR approved first.  Got many
negative security reviews in the past.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjpeg2/+bug/711061

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to poppler in Ubuntu.

  PDF images are blank

Status in poppler package in Ubuntu:

  1. Download this PDF -
http://www.dvrpc.org/Connections2045/pdf/2045_DRAFT_Plan_for_Public_Comment.pdf
  2. Open in Evince, note how first page is blank

  Open with Firefox and note how it displays a nice intro page.

  Ubuntu 17.04 LiveCD works fine
  Ubuntu 17.10 LiveCD does not

  For Evince Zesty (3.24.0) vs Artful (3.24.1) which might be any easy thing to
rule out. (I also tried the artful -proposed evince which has the issue too)
  For Poppler Zesty (0.48.0) vs Artful (0.57.0) so my guess is bug is in
poppler.

  Given my testing in Fedora (C#2) which worked fine with same version
  of poppler and by downgrading the packages I believe this a Ubuntu
  specific poppler bug.

  Package: evince 3.24.1-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: LXDE