I have tried this functionality in Ubuntu 17.10 with Unity and the
original behavior seems to be back. Can anybody confirm if this is still
an issue?

** Changed in: gtk

** Changed in: gtk

** Changed in: gtk
 Remote watch: GNOME Bug Tracker #766696 => None

** Changed in: gtk

** Changed in: gtk+3.0 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  File save as dialog doesn't switch to keyed in path anymore when
  pressing enter

Status in GTK+:
  Incomplete
Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:

  Not sure if this is in Nautilus or a GTK package or something else..

  I run Unity as my desktop environment at the moment. With a recent
  update, the file save dialog presented to me by Firefox appears to
  have changed. I'm pretty sure it's an OS dialog and not a Firefox
  specific control, but please feel free to bounce this to whichever
  package is responsible for the File Save As dialog generated by
  Firefox 46.0 in Ubuntu now.

  In the past, when the save dialog came up, I was able to enter a path
(absolute or relative) in the filename field:
  * If it was a directory path that existed, the directory contents would be
shown inside the window, allowing me to then specify a name
  * If it was a directory path that didn't exist, it'd take me to the deepest
part of the path that did match
  * If it was a directory that did exist, and a filename that didn't, it'd save
as that filename in that folder

  The last is still true, but the others aren't anymore.. Say I have
  structure:

  home
  .../folder
  ....../sub2
  ....../sub3

  ... and I last saved into sub3 and I want to save into sub2, if I
  remove the filename from the name box, and I type ../sub2 and press
  enter, it doesn't navigate to the folder anymore.. The auto-complete
  function seems more reliable now, and it knows the folder exists, but
  the only way to actually show its contents now would be to click
  through the tree..

  This feels like a functionality downgrade. I should be able to type a
  pathname into the filename area of the dialog, press enter, and have
  it take me to that particular folder.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.14.2-0ubuntu13
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.2.0-35.40-generic 4.2.8-ckt5
  Uname: Linux 4.2.0-35-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.19.1-0ubuntu5
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed May  4 03:29:09 2016
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'default-column-order'
b"['name', 'size', 'type', 'date_modified', 'group', 'where', 'mime_type',
'owner', 'permissions', 'date_accessed']"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 15.10 "Wily Werewolf" - Release amd64 (20151021)
  SourcePackage: nautilus