Thanks for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu
better. The sudo and sudo-ldap packages are alternative versions of
sudo, one with a more minimal set of library dependencies to reduce
attack surfaces, and the other supporting an expanded set of features
that some environments desire or need. Your system should only have one
or the other installed, in this case likely the regular 'sudo' package.
Reinstalling sudo is most likely the correct course of action here.

The USN references both packages to ensure that users of either version
apply the update to get the security fixes. In most cases, if you do not
have the package listed in the USN installed, it does not apply to you
(linux kernel updates are a primary exception to this, due to how the
packaging is constructed that results in new packages being pulled in).

The best solution is to use the update-manager tool or apt-get dist-
upgrade to install security updates, not attempt to apply them
piecemeal, as one is likely to overlook something and leave themselves
exposed.

** Changed in: sudo (Ubuntu)

** Information type changed from Private Security to Public Security

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to sudo in Ubuntu.

  package sudo 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.5 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
  installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Status in sudo package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      16.04

  $ apt-cache policy sudo
  sudo:
    Installed: 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.5
    Candidate: 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.5
    Version table:
   *** 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.5 500
          500 http://sg.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1.8.16-0ubuntu1.4 500
          500 http://sg.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64
Packages
       1.8.16-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://sg.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

  Based on this security report, https://usn.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3304-1/,
  I notice my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system was not installed with the sudo-
  ldap 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.4 package. Using Synaptic, I attempted to install
  it, but the installation procedure also marked the sudo package for
  removal. When I proceeded with the installation, the removal of sudo
  failed triggering this report.

  Presently, I have reinstalled sudo.

  Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3304-1, gave this update instructions
  "The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following
package version:
  Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
  sudo-ldap 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.4
  sudo 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.4"

  This instruction gave me the impression that I needed these packages
  to be installed. Am I correct to understand that only sudo
  1.8.16-0ubuntu1.4 was needed for my system and not sudo-ldap
  1.8.16-0ubuntu1.4? Or should a system have both of these packages?

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
  Package: sudo 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.5
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.10.0-33.37~16.04.1-generic 4.10.17
  Uname: Linux 4.10.0-33-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.10
  AptOrdering:
   sudo: Remove
   sudo-ldap: Install
   sudo-ldap: Configure
   NULL: ConfigurePending
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Wed Oct  4 17:34:36 2017
  ErrorMessage: subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit
status 1
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20170215.2)
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   dpkg 1.18.4ubuntu1.2
   apt  1.2.24
  SourcePackage: sudo
  Title: package sudo 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.5 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1