Doesn't look like the fixed version was ever pushed out to Trusty. If you are
using trusty and need this fixed, simply download the source to your machine
and compile it. If you have the build-essential and git packages installed,
it's quite simple. Clone the git repo source for the latest version and then cd
into it and type:
./configure
make

After that, you will have the needed binaries in that folder. You can
run them directly from there when you want to use that version rather
than the on in Trusty.

I compiled 1.43.6 from source and used resize2fs from there to
successfully resize from 21 -> 24 TB on a RAID6.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to e2fsprogs in Ubuntu.

  resize2fs does not start to actually grow an ext4

Status in e2fsprogs package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in e2fsprogs source package in Trusty:

  Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, all proposed updates done
  Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic,
  Package: e2fsprogs 1.42.9-3ubuntu1,
  System: Haswell i7, 32GB RAM, LSI SAS 9207-8i HBA and LSI SAS 9211-8i HBA

  I tried to increse the size of an ext4 filesystem. Old size 20TB,
  wanted new size 28TB. I tried offline resize with "resize2fs -fp
  /dev/md2" and later online resize using "resize2fs -f /dev/md2". In
  both cases, after giving the command a rezise2fs process is created
  that uses nearly 100% cpu according to top, but it does not perform
  any actual resize. It only prints its version and date and then it
  does not finish for hours. I had it running for more than a day
  without finishing:

  root@marvin:~# resize2fs -f /dev/md2
      resize2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)

  There is never more terminal output than that. It looks to me that
  resize2fs hangs in a endless calcualtion or loop or something similar.

  Some more info about the filesystem:

  root@marvin:~# tune2fs -l /dev/md2
      tune2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
      Filesystem volume name:   data
      Last mounted on:          /media/data01
      Filesystem UUID:          e3845e15-0336-47ae-8aec-df75acb217c5
      Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
      Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
      Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
filetype needs_recovery extent 64bit flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file
uninit_bg dir_nlink extra_isize
      Filesystem flags:         signed_directory_hash
      Default mount options:    user_xattr acl
      Filesystem state:         clean
      Errors behavior:          Continue
      Filesystem OS type:       Linux
      Inode count:              305225728
      Block count:              4883606400
      Reserved block count:     0
      Free blocks:              22919919
      Free inodes:              302894731
      First block:              0
      Block size:               4096
      Fragment size:            4096
      Group descriptor size:    64
      Reserved GDT blocks:      1024
      Blocks per group:         32768
      Fragments per group:      32768
      Inodes per group:         2048
      Inode blocks per group:   128
      RAID stride:              128
      RAID stripe width:        640
      Flex block group size:    16
      Filesystem created:       Fri Sep 20 19:45:01 2013
      Last mount time:          Tue May 20 02:14:37 2014
      Last write time:          Tue May 20 02:14:37 2014
      Mount count:              3
      Maximum mount count:      -1
      Last checked:             Tue May 20 01:34:05 2014
      Check interval:           0 (<none>)
      Lifetime writes:          34 TB
      Reserved blocks uid:      0 (user root)
      Reserved blocks gid:      0 (group root)
      First inode:              11
      Inode size:              256
      Required extra isize:     28
      Desired extra isize:      28
      Journal inode:            8
      Default directory hash:   half_md4
      Directory Hash Seed:      569ec5fc-4d5e-4639-bef3-42cde5fbe948
      Journal backup:           inode blocks

  I did also run an filesystem check:

  root@marvin:~# e2fsck -vfp /dev/md2

           2330890 inodes used (0.76%, out of 305225728)
             14882 non-contiguous files (0.6%)
               949 non-contiguous directories (0.0%)
                   # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 0/0/0
                   Extent depth histogram: 2317190/13041/651
        4868171016 blocks used (99.68%, out of 4883606400)
                 0 bad blocks
              1654 large files

           2273776 regular files
             57105 directories
                 0 character device files
                 0 block device files
                 0 fifos
                 0 links
                 0 symbolic links (0 fast symbolic links)
                 0 sockets
      ------------
           2330881 files

  The underlying device is an mdadm RAID6 that was grown from 7 to 9
  disks. The growing finished without problems before I tried to
  increase the ext4 size.

  Solution:
  The solution for me was to downgrade to e2fsprogs 1.42.8. Then the resize did
work and finished within a few minutes. I got the hint to do so in a forum from
an user, who had the same problem and solved it with the older version. I have
not tested the new 1.42.10.

  I think this must be a bug introduced in the e2fsprogs version 1.42.9,
  because all works as expected with the older version.

  I hope this helps to identify the problem. Best regards, Joerg