Public bug reported:

Recently an update for flashplugin-installer on xenial was available in
the ubuntu repositories.

During the installation of this package a blob is downloaded from Adobe
servers, which requires network connectivity/internet access.

Because the network interface(s) have already stopped when this package
is installed, the server cannot be reached, thus blocking the shutdown
process until a timeout kills the unattended-upgrades process.

On my machines the shutdown takes about 30 minutes in this case. The
systemd configuration is standard here, except for a few additional
services.

A possible fix could be adding After=network-online.target
NetworkManager-wait-online.service to After= in the systemd unit file.

As a workaround I pinned the flashplugin-installer to -1:
#echo >/etc/apt/preferences.d/forbid_flashplugin "\
Package: flashplugin-installer
Pin: release *
Pin-Priority: -1";

** Affects: unattended-upgrades (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  unattended-upgrade hangs on shutdown when network is required for
  updates

Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu: