I'm seeing this on my artful system:

$ apport-collect ...
You need to run 'sudo apt-get install python-apport' for apport-collect to work.
$ dpkg -l | grep apport
ii  apport
2.20.7-0ubuntu3                                            all
automatically generate crash reports for debugging
ii  apport-gtk
2.20.7-0ubuntu3                                            all          GTK+
frontend for the apport crash report system
ii  apport-symptoms                                                  0.20
                                                all          symptom scripts
for apport
ii  python3-apport
2.20.7-0ubuntu3                                            all          Python
3 library for Apport crash report handling

I already have the Launchpad libraries installed, so I can't confirm if
that would also have been a problem.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  apport collect says "install python-apport", but package deps install
  "python3-apport"

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  I was asked to once again attach my sound configuration, because I
  filled a bug report against the kernel.

  So I installed apport..
  $ sudo apt-get install apport
  The package manager installed these: apport apport-symptoms python3-apport
python3-problem-report

  And then ran it as asked for  (And that didn't work)
  $ apport-collect <id>