from precise (12.04):

# check if we can lock the cache and if the cache is clean
if which apt-get >/dev/null && ! eval apt-get check -f $XAPTOPT $XSTDERR ; then
    debug_echo "error encountered in cron job with \"apt-get check\"."
    exit 0
fi

I also verified that the implementation has not changed one level
further. As such I don't see any change here. Maybe something else
changed for you.

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  daily unattended upgrade does not recover from interrupted dpkg run
  (regression)

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  ever since the daily unattended upgrade is run via systemd timers it
  does no longer recover from interrupted dpkg runs

  in /usr/lib/apt/apt.systemd.daily, before the actual unattended-upgrade
script is called, there is a call to
     apt-get check
  which ends the daily update run with an error in this case. The log says
     error encountered in cron job with "apt-get check".

  Before the switch to systemd timers, when a dpkg run was interrupted
  (requiring execution of dpkg --configure -a), the unattended upgrade
  script would recover from this (unless Unattended-
  Upgrade::AutoFixInterruptedDpkg was set to "false"). So this is a
  regression.

  Package: apt 1.2.24
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.10.0-35.39~16.04.1-generic 4.10.17
  Uname: Linux 4.10.0-35-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.10
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Sat Nov 11 15:49:14 2017
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  SourcePackage: apt