> 1. does on the system running also take quite some time if you do like
"systemctl stop irqbalance"?

I have tested this now multiple times by stopping and starting it again
and all looked fine.

> 2. I'd assume that systemd concurrently stops multiple things and irqbalance
> is just the last to print but not the one you are actually waiting on.

Based on the above this might be true. So is it a known issue that
systemd prints wrong things? I think this is an issue that should be
actually fixed before tinkering around on every shutdow delay issue
(also [1] blames that [2] isn't reliable enough so it would eventually
also make sense to wait for [1]'s implementation).

** Changed in: irqbalance (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

  Shutdown needs often longer than usual

Status in irqbalance package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 dev with irqbalance 1.1.0-2.3ubuntu1 and for
  some weeks on shutting down the system often (around 50%-75%) I'm
  seeing that the irqbalance job needs some seconds to shutdown causing
  to delay the system shutdown noticeable.