Checking for the state of the domain from outside a captive portal won't
get much; "securelogin.arubanetworks.com" only exists while you're
behind the captive portal, in unauthenticated mode.

I think the next steps will be to do some testing with various captive
portals and see why systemd-resolved is unhappy with them. As far as I
can tell from the provided answers, everything is in place
(/etc/resolv.conf has the right values,  systemd-resolved knows about
the right nameservers, so some part of resolved is failing to
send/receive the DNS messages in a meaningful way: this has all the
hallmarks of a systemd-resolved bug.

The next steps for debugging this will be to stop systemd-resolved and
restart it, then attempt to resolve the domain normally (via ping, for
example):

sudo systemctl stop systemd-resolved
sudo SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-resolved

ping securelogin.arubanetworks.com

And carefully look through the logs to figure out what systemd is
unhappy with. I'll do this on my end as well, but if anyone can provide
the same logs, that would be very helpful.

  systemd-resolved is not finding a domain

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I have an odd network situation that I have so far managed to narrow
  down to the inability to resolve a domain via systemd-resolved which
  is resolvable with nslookup. If I use nslookup against the two
  nameservers on this network I get answers for the domain, but ping
  says it is unable to resolve the same domain (as do browsers and
  crucially the captive portal mechanism).

  Here are details:

  NSLOOKUP:

  ~$ nslookup securelogin.arubanetworks.com 208.67.220.220
  Server:               208.67.220.220
  Address:      208.67.220.220#53

  Non-authoritative answer:
  Name: securelogin.arubanetworks.com
  Address: 172.22.240.242

  ~$ nslookup securelogin.arubanetworks.com 208.67.222.222
  Server:               208.67.222.222
  Address:      208.67.222.222#53

  Non-authoritative answer:
  Name: securelogin.arubanetworks.com
  Address: 172.22.240.242

  PING:

  ~$ ping securelogin.arubanetworks.com
  ping: securelogin.arubanetworks.com: Name or service not known
  mark@mark-X1Y2:~$

  DIG:

  ~$ dig @208.67.222.222 securelogin.arubanetworks.com

  ; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu <<>> @208.67.222.222 securelogin.arubanetworks.com
  ; (1 server found)
  ;; global options: +cmd
  ;; Got answer:
  ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

  ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
  ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;securelogin.arubanetworks.com.       IN      A

  ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
  arubanetworks.com.    1991    IN      SOA     dns5.arubanetworks.com.
hostmaster.arubanetworks.com. 1323935888 3600 200 1209600 86400

  ;; Query time: 34 msec
  ;; SERVER: 208.67.222.222#53(208.67.222.222)
  ;; WHEN: Wed Oct 25 10:31:10 CEST 2017
  ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 144

  MORE DIG:

  ~$ dig securelogin.arubanetworks.com

  ; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu <<>> securelogin.arubanetworks.com
  ;; global options: +cmd
  ;; Got answer:
  ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

  ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
  ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494
  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;securelogin.arubanetworks.com.       IN      A

  ;; Query time: 0 msec
  ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53)
  ;; WHEN: Wed Oct 25 10:34:01 CEST 2017
  ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 58