Wow, OK apologies for wasting everyone's time in that case but I have to
say that its pretty confusing. Even within the sudoers file there are
comments prefixed by a hash. But if your comment happens to start with
#include it magically becomes active.

I now understand this is the intended behaviour, but in that case I'd
humbly suggest that there should be another, better way of doing
includes.

Also, perhaps visudo should throw an error when it finds an #include
that doesn't exist, rather than just exiting and then sudo refusing to
do anything.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to sudo in Ubuntu.

  Commented line in sudoers file breaks sudo

Status in sudo package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Ubuntu 16.04 Amazon AWS image.
  sudo:
    Installed: 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.5

  Used sudo visudo to edit /etc/sudoers file from the ubutntu admin user

  At the bottom of the file is a line

  #includedir /etc/sudoers.d

  I added a couple of lines at the end of the file to give permissions
  to another user. I accidentally hit backspace and altered the
  includedir line so it looked like this

  #includedir /etc/sudoercs

  I couldn't remember what the actual directory was at the time, but I
  thought, hey, its a commented line, it doesn't matter anyway. I was
  wrong.

  So visudo saved the file OK, but from then on, no valid sudo commands
  would work for any user. Including sudo visudo of course. Its an AWS
  instance, so no root login. Only recourse was to detach the volume,
  re-attach it to another instance, fix the spelling mistake.

  So obviously sudo freaked when the directory given didn't exist. But
  why would it, if the line is a comment? Something obviously wrong
  here. And given the lack of root, a particularly irritating and time
  consuming one.