I added Michael Vogt, as he is the author based on:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-apt
and
https://launchpad.net/python-apt/

Michael, first of all thanks for your great work!
Hope you can help us out here. Do you maintain the pip version of the package?
Or is that "abandoned", or just left on older version to be compatible with
Debian? Or so, what should we do :)

I'm happy to maintain the pip version, if you don't have time for this
anymore.

Thanks a lot again for all the help!

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to python-apt in Ubuntu.

  install failure on python 3.5

Status in python-apt package in Ubuntu:

  Related to expired issue: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source
  /python-apt/+question/285522

  snafu$ cd /tmp

  snafu$ pyvenv apt

  snafu$ source apt/bin/activate

  (apt) snafu$ lsb_release -a; uname -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      16.04
  Codename:     xenial
  Linux snafu 4.4.0-34-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 27 16:06:39 UTC 2016
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  (apt) snafu$ pip install python-apt
  Collecting python-apt
    Using cached python-apt-0.7.8.tar.bz2
      Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
        File "/tmp/pip-build-l1pt_xe2/python-apt/setup.py", line 6, in <module>
          from DistUtilsExtra.command import *
      ImportError: No module named 'DistUtilsExtra'