Opened alsamixer and ensured that no channels are muted (all are showing
the green oo symbol), and that all of the channels have volumes as high
as they will go.   Still no luck in getting audio to pipe back through
my headphone jack.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Installation of Audacity causes headphone output to no longer work

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  OS: Linux Mint 18.2
  Audacity version: 2.2.2 from ubuntuhandbook repo
  Alsa log:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=46cdccac7c37f25f2acd6c567ae56cd58aba2f0b

  I just installed Audacity to make a quick edit on a MP3 file. I
  installed 2.1.2 from the default Linux Mint 18 repo, opened Audacity
  and selected my file. It played over my headphones just fine. I closed
  Audacity, then immediately opened it again to select a different file
  to edit. As Audacity opened I heard an audible 'click' over my
  headphones. I could no longer hear anything over my headphones whether
  in Audacity or via browser/youtube or other media player.

  I discovered an AskUbuntu question with the same problem. An answer
  there said that we just needed to open Audacity and select Internal
  Mic:0. Tried that, and presto had audio over my headphones again.

  Another answer on the same AU question recommended upgrading from
  2.1.2 to the current (then) version of 2.2.0 to get around the bug in
  the future. So, I uninstalled 2.1.2, and installed 2.2.2 from the
  ubuntuhandbook repo.

  Opened Audacity 2.2.2, only to discover that I now have no headphone
  volume again, and this time changing the output to Internal Mic:0 did
  not work. In fact, I cannot get headphone output on any of the 10
  output options. Nothing plays over headphones now, not
  youtube/browser, not files in VLC.

  All of this occurred in less than 5 minutes, and I am left without an
  ability to use my laptop's headphone jack.