It also succeeds if I replace `dpkg --configure -a` with `ls`:
rm -rf testmysql && cp -a bionic testmysql && systemd-nspawn -D testmysql bash
-c 'apt update && apt install mysql-server; ls'

  When run from systemd-nspawn, installation of mysql-server fails
  because postinst fails to shut down server

Status in mysql-5.7 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Creating a fresh Bionic directory with `debootstrap` and then
  attempting to install `mysql-server` inside a `systemd-nspawn`
  container fails with the following message:

  Setting up mysql-server-5.7 (5.7.21-1ubuntu1) ...
  invoke-rc.d: could not determine current runlevel
   * Stopping MySQL database server mysqld                                 [ OK
]
  update-alternatives: using /etc/mysql/mysql.cnf to provide /etc/mysql/my.cnf
(my.cnf) in auto mode
  Renaming removed key_buffer and myisam-recover options (if present)
  Error: Unable to shut down server with process id 532
  dpkg: error processing package mysql-server-5.7 (--configure):
   installed mysql-server-5.7 package post-installation script subprocess
returned error exit status 1

  Steps to reproduce:
  1. debootstrap bionic testmysql
  2. rm testmysql/etc/resolv.conf
  2. systemd-nspawn -D testmyql --bind /etc/resolv.conf /bin/bash -c 'apt
update && apt install mysql-server'