This problem is not present under Ubuntu Mate, I experienced it on
Unity.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gdebi in Ubuntu.

  Extra package box does not expand with its window, rendering its
  contents unreadable

Status in gdebi package in Ubuntu:

  1) The release of Ubuntu you are using, via 'lsb_release -rd' or System ->
About Ubuntu
  Ubuntu 14.10 with lubuntu-desktop
  2) The version of the package you are using, via 'apt-cache policy pkgname'
or by checking in Software Center
  0.9.5.4
  3) What you expected to happen
  Look at attached screenshot:
  Window containing focused string "libjpeg62:i386"  should be
resizable/adjustable to display more than 1 string  (automatically? manually?)
  4) What happened instead
  It's not resizable automatically nor I'm able to resize it to display more
than 1 string