Indeed.  PuTTY 0.62 and earlier had a habit of generating slightly short
keys sometimes.

This is unlikely to change in OpenSSH - the minimum key size is only
likely to increase over time.  I'd strongly suggest just generating a
2048-bit key, since SSH keys are usually pretty easy to roll over.

** Changed in: openssh (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  openssh-server doesn't accept aes256-cbc key

Status in openssh package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I am using putty connection with RSA key cached in pageant and want to
  login without password.

  Private key on windows:
  PuTTY-User-Key-File-2: ssh-rsa
  Encryption: aes256-cbc

  On ubuntu there is public key in .ssh/authorized_keys
  ssh-rsa AAAAB3Nz...JBjQ== palo@winpgnotas

  This key works well in ubuntu versions 14.04...17.10
  When I tried 18.04 beta, I am getting sshd error:
  mar 15 10:26:21 ubox sshd[5205]: error: userauth_pubkey: could not parse key:
Invalid key length [preauth]
  and I have to provide password.

  I've found that aes256-cbc is not in the list of allowed ciphers by default,
so I added
  Ciphers +aes256-cbc
  to /etc/ssh/sshd_config
  (and verified with nmap --script ssh2-enum-algos -sV -p 22 127.0.0.1)
  but the sshd error remains.

  Package: openssh-server 1:7.6p1-4
  ApportVersion: 2.20.8-0ubuntu10
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Thu Mar 15 10:03:14 2018
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64
(20180306.1)
  SourcePackage: openssh