Must have had a brain freeze or something, I rebuild my initramfs with belo and
it worked after boot.
update-initramfs -k `uname -r` -c

The point that the default /etc/modprobe.d/mlx4.conf should be removed
still stands, I'll report a new bug to kmod I guess.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to kmod in Ubuntu.

  Mellanox mlx4_en network driver is not automatically loaded

Status in MAAS:
  Invalid
Status in kmod package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in module-init-tools package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in module-init-tools source package in Precise:
  Triaged
Status in module-init-tools source package in Quantal:
  Won't Fix
Status in kmod source package in Raring:

  The Mellanox Ethernet card module is not being loaded in the ephemeral
  images, which causes enlisting/commissioning to fail to boot the root
  image from ISCSI, given that the interface is not loaded.

  Related bugs:
   * bug 1015339: installer initrd missing kernel modules for Mellanox ConnectX
HCA Ethernet