FWIW   Although syncookies has long-since been enabled upstream, the
outdated comments in sysctl about syncookies still persist, I have now
created new   ubuntu bug  #1773157  [please comment there].

[This also requests ECN-on-outgoing enablement which has similarly
matured etc.].

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to procps in Ubuntu.

  proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies=1 should be seriously considered to
  permit SYN flood defense...

Status in procps package in Ubuntu:

  This is intended to be a 'wishlist' wulnerability -- w.r.t. procps and
  Edgy.

  In my opinion,the /etc/sysctl.conf should have
  'proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies=1' in order to permit the linux
  SYNcookies syn-flood trivial DoS attack to be mitigated as-necessary,
  by default.

  Note that the disadvantages of connections initiated w/ SYNcookies
  enabled only apply when the system is under attack (SYN queue getting
  rather full), as the syncookies reply-with-only-one-SYN+ACK behaviour
  only 'kicks in' when the system has a SYN_RECVD backlog problem.  (If
  SYNcookies were not permitted incoming TCP connections have a very low
  chance of succeeding at all while under SYN-flood attack).

  Without this setting enabled, any TCP services on the machine can be
  DoSed from a dial-up line sending a stream of SYN packets from weird
  source addresses to open TCP ports like Samba/VNC/http/whatever....

  Does anybody have any legitimate reason tcp_syncookies should be disabled?

  Some people claimed that SYNcookies break some RFCs once but I have
  not seen any evidence to this effect, only notes from djb saying that
  this is not true.

  Comments wanted please ;-)
  Thankyou in advance,
  -- enyc