I assume I'm affected by the same issue.

I also use my router (Mikrotik) to set up short aliases for hosts.

This works generally:

$ dig +short anton @10.0.0.1
10.0.0.12

In my /etc/resolv.conf, systemd-resolved is enabled:

$ tail -n 1 /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.53

When running "systemd-resolve --status", I can see that the DNS server
is correctly set up for the interface via DHCP:

  Link 4 (wlx0013ef8b0189)
        Current Scopes: DNS
         LLMNR setting: yes
  MulticastDNS setting: no
        DNSSEC setting: no
      DNSSEC supported: no
           DNS Servers: 10.0.0.1

However, it is not being used to resolve the shortnames:

$ dig +short anton @10.0.0.1
10.0.0.12
$ dig +short anton @127.0.0.53
<nothing>
$ dig +short anton
<nothing>

  resolving short local hostnames doesn't work, fqdn are fine

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Hi, I have a local "dummy" DNS server on my router which registers
  DHCP clients with the hostnames that they have. But resolving these
  hostnames doesn't work on zesty unless fqdn is used, otherwise there's
  a timeout that says:

  root@zesty:# host deckard

  but

  root@zesty:/mnt# host deckard.tyrell
  deckard.tyrell has address 192.168.1.239

  Yesterday I had a resolv.conf with "search tyrell" and shortnames
  worked then, but today it's gone again. Besides right after a reboot
  it fails like this:

  u@zesty:~$ host deckard
  Host deckard not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

  and after restarting systemd-resolved I get the timeout.