Hello Benjamin,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with language
settings.

You made this bug report in 2012 and there have been several versions of
Ubuntu since then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
Or, if it is still a problem, could you run the following (only once):
apport-collect 1077267

and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for
this particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu better.

** Changed in: ubuntu-meta (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  Setting language localization doesn't set system-wide

Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:

  I am running Precise 64 bit... when I install and set localization to
  US English it doesn't set language system wide.. by that I mean
  Thunderbird uses Australian English dictionary, Firefox initially uses
  British English and other applications, Drivel for example will
  continue to use other English language dictionary (not sure which one
  but it likes favourite not favorite). I know that I can go from
  application to application changing them all but it really is wasteful
  to have to do so... I don't understand why at install time your
  language selection cannot do this. Also, in regards to Drivel, it will
  continue to use other English unless I delete all other language packs
  from /usr/share/hunspell/ and these other languages seem to come back
  every time Firefox upgrades. This is very frustrating. I refuse to
  believe that it is not possible to have the install process language
  settings respected system wide.