I am using Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS. Since the original release two years ago
it was working absolutely fine on a variety of machines. Now, on this
particular machine I have two monitors:

1. Dell 24" 1200x1920 (portrait) connected via D-SUB/VGA port
2. AOC 28" 1920x1080 (landscape) connected via DVI-D

I have made an upgrade today and the following packages were upgraded:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/5cf8hq6JQK/

Note that the list includes mesa libraries and xserver-xorg* packages
which are most suspect.

Here is my /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/tB6yGhDT2S/

Here is the output of "sudo lspci -vvx":

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/VVctSFwFSm/

As you can see, there is nothing special about this machine: a pretty
vanilla desktop with i5-3570K cpus (NOT overclocked!) and 16GB RAM. Oh,
I forgot to say what actually happens and why the system is unusable:
even if I create a single gnome-terminal window (say on the Dell
monitor) after a couple of seconds (of typing in the terminal) large
size rectangles appear on the other monitor. And if I start Chrome (on a
monitor different from the one gnome-terminal is running on) then bits
of the terminal sometimes appear on one of Chrome's tabs and vice versa,
i.e. bits (rectangular shape) of Chrome's tabs appear on the terminal.
Sometimes the content of the terminal gets corrupted. And all this
happens reasonably quickly (on the order of 5-10 seconds), which means
you can't do any work at all. Also, creating other windows (I started
pavucontrol in the background) makes the mess even worse, i.e. they all
keep overwriting each other's rendering context.

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment xorg
--
Dual monitor system unusable after xorg+mesa upgrade
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1780449