Public bug reported:

setvtrgb is not correctly ordered when used with plymouth. It has an
After=plymouth-quit-wait.service, but that may not be applicable when
plymouth-quit.service is queued instead. This ultimately results in semi-random
setvtrgb results as calling setvtrgb too soon will do nothing if the VTs aren't
up/still getting fiddled with with by plymouth. So, depending on the unit tree
the VT may have the correct custom color, or the default kernel color.
Since this is entirely dependent on the units being started, and their
effective order, this is super hard to reproduce reliably. The most reliable
way I have is an ISO which has Calamares instead of Ubiquity and SDDM instead
of GDM, which 100% of the time ends up having a unit order where setvtrgb is
called waaaaay too soon (even before getty.target, although I am not sure that
matters as far as the VT colors are concerned).

The solution seems excitingly simple though. Adding an After=plymouth-
quit.service rule correctly orders the unit at least in my test case.
Since After is only an order hint this should be entirely regression
free.

** Affects: console-setup (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to console-setup in Ubuntu.

  setvtrgb.service incorrectly ordered [with patchy]

Status in console-setup package in Ubuntu: