Hello Bf,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with cups and
printing.  You made this bug report some time ago and Ubuntu has been updated
since then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
If it is still a problem, are you still interested in finding a solution to
this bug?
If you are, could you let us know, and in the current version, run the
following (only once):
apport-collect BUGNUMBER
and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for this
particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu better.

** Changed in: cups (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  network printer + DNSSD + External DNS server -> won't print

Status in cups package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: cups

  My setup:
  - Home LAN
  - my box: Ubuntu Lucid x64, eth0 is standard interface with DNS set to
8.8.8.8 (Google) and not to our local router
  - Samsung ML-2850D (network printer)

  Problem:
  - Printer is shown active in the printer overview, but doesn't print
  - printing jobs fail with "dnssd error", even though everything worked out of
the box before upgrading to Lucid

  My workaround:

  in /etc/cups/printers.conf, replace entry:
       > DeviceURI
dnssd://Photosmart%208400%20series%20(D29CFB)._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
  with
       > DeviceURI socket://192.168.178.107:9100

  I'm not using a Photosmart printer of course, but the dnssd://-entry looked
nearly the comparable.
  After I replaced the DeviceURI entry with the socket://-Adress and the local
IP Address of my printer, everything worked fine.

  My question:
  Why did this error occur in the first place - I recall that before upgrading
to Lucid, I never read anything about dnssd in cups and underneath my printer
the ip address was shown?

  During my research I found out about a couple of topics on ubuntu-
  related forums which addressed the same topic so it seems like a bug
  and not a mistake on my side.

  Is it possible, that the external DNS server is influencing the dnssd
  in some bogus way?

  Thanks for your patience,

  -bf