Hello John,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with cups and
printing.  You made this bug report some time ago and Ubuntu has been updated
since then.

It sounds like it's solved but just to make sure, could you confirm that this
is no longer a problem and that we can close the ticket?
If it is still a problem, are you still interested in finding a solution to
this bug?
If you are, could you let us know, and in the current version, run the
following (only once):
apport-collect BUGNUMBER
and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for this
particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu better.

** Changed in: cups (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  printer names have IP address attached

Status in cups package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: cups

  Release:      10.04
  Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.36-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2

  Since the recent cups update, browsed printer names have IP addresses
attached in /etc/printcap, as though
  BrowseShortNames No
  were in the cupsd.conf file.  (It isn't, and even adding BrowseShortNames Yes
doesn't suppress the IP address).  This appears to afflict only 64-bit systems.
 The same update on my 32-bit system with the same cupsd.conf did not cause IP
addresses to get tacked on.  Here's how my cupsd.conf differs from the default

    # Show shared printers on the local network.
  ! # Browsing Off
  ! Browsing On
    BrowseOrder allow,deny
  ! BrowseAllow localhost
    BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS dnssd
  ! BrowseAddress localhost
  ! BrowsePoll cups.research.att.com

  The printer formerly known as d227 is now d227@135.207.178.16, for
  example.  So far, everyone here running a 10.04 64-bit system has seen
  the problem since the recent cups update.  Nobody running a 32-bit
  system has seen it.  I can provide additional information as needed.
  -- jpl