Upstream version 2.79 has this in the changelog:

+       Tidy up Crypto code, removing workarounds for ancient
+       versions of libnettle. We now require libnettle 3.

Not sure this is backportable to Trusty's nettle on 2.7.1-1ubuntu0.2
without taking back the upstream changes.

To get you correctly, you report that the build dependency currently being
 nettle-dev (>=2.4-3)
should be like
 nettle-dev (>=3.1-1)
right?

I agree, when 2.79 was merged which implies these dependencies that
should have been bumped.

** Changed in: dnsmasq (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dnsmasq in Ubuntu.

  Build-Depends on nettle-dev >=3.1

Status in dnsmasq package in Ubuntu:

  While trying to backport 2.79 to trusty, I discovered it now needs
  eddsa.h from nettle-dev, which only seems to have been added in
  version 3.1:

https://git.lysator.liu.se/nettle/nettle/commit/6907bbacd6da270aea6cd9d51eb9c0e25c17d520