IBM, 18.10 feature freeze is on the 23rd of Aug, any news on the
upstream status of this patch?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to zlib in Ubuntu.

  [18.10] zlib: improve  crc32 performance on P8

Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:
  Incomplete
Status in zlib package in Ubuntu:

  Calculate the checksum of data that is 16 byte aligned and a multiple
  of  16 bytes.

  The first step is to reduce it to 1024 bits. We do this in 8 parallel
   chunks in order to mask the latency of the vpmsum instructions. If we
   have more than 32 kB of data to checksum we repeat this step multiple
   times, passing in the previous 1024 bits.

   The next step is to reduce the 1024 bits to 64 bits. This step adds
   32 bits of 0s to the end - this matches what a CRC does. We just
   calculate constants that land the data in this 32 bits.

   We then use fixed point Barrett reduction to compute a mod n over GF(2)
   for n = CRC using POWER8 instructions. We use x = 32.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_reduction