Public bug reported:

So PulseAudio on Ubuntu 18.04 apparently does not honor the "avoid-
resampling = yes" configuration option. That is the option to allow
native sample rate playback with PulseAudio. When I set the option to
either "yes" or "true" (tried both) in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, restart
PulseAudio and check to see the active configuration (using --dump-
conf), I get "avoid-resampling = no" every time.

I tried disabling PulseAudio daemonize mode and manually starting it
from terminal, I tried setting the option globally and in
~/.config/pulse, I tried restarting the system after setting the option.
No difference.

I believe this is a bug, as the option should definitely work, as it is
available since PulseAudio 11. I'm running version 11.1.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Edit the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file and add the following line, or
uncomment the commented default and change it to "yes" (or "true"):

avoid-resampling = yes

2. Restart PulseAudio daemon

3. Print the loaded PulseAudio configuration by running pulseaudio
--dump-conf

4. Observe that it prints "avoid-resampling = no" every time

** Affects: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

  So PulseAudio on Ubuntu 18.04 apparently does not honor the "avoid-
  resampling = yes" configuration option. That is the option to allow
  native sample rate playback with PulseAudio. When I set the option to
- either "yes" or "true" in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, restart PulseAudio and

+
[...]

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  PulseAudio does not honor the "avoid-resampling" setting

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu: