I thought sdl2 dropped the Mir dependency back in 18.04? It hasn't
worked since the "Mir EGL" patch was dropped from mesa.

Anyway, I have tested some SDL2 apps with Mir 1.0.0:

On 16.04 where the SDL_VIDEODRIVER=mir option is still supported they work with
it.
On 18.04 and 18.10 they work with SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mir in Ubuntu.

  [FFe] Feature freeze exception for Mir 1.0

Status in mir package in Ubuntu:

  We'd like to get Mir 1.0 into Cosmic. It has no rdepends in the
  archive, but is used *from* the archive for snap builds, and we want
  the latest release available there.

  (Somewhat surprisingly!) No ABI changes in this release.

  The debian/changelog is maintained by us; it's a good overview of the
changes. The relevant sections are:
      - New features
        . [Wayland] A configuration mechanism to select the Wayland extensions
        . [Wayland] Support XDG shell stable
        . [Wayland] Improve protocol scanner
        . [libmiral] Display configuration file support
        . [libmiral] Make the pid of external clients available
        . [libmiral] Add DisplayConfiguration
        . [console] Ensure the_console_services() is constructed only once
        . [console] An option to select the ConsoleServices provider
        . [mir-demos] Move legacy binaries out of mir-demos package
        . [mir-test-tools] Drop internal test binaries from mir-test-tools
package
        . [X11] Experimental X11 support via Xwayland
      - Bugs fixed:
        . [Wayland] creating a shell_surface should associate a role
immediately.
          (Fixes #512)
        . [Wayland] Default for positioner gravity
        . [Wayland] Use miral test framework for wlcs tests
        . [Wayland] Send popup configure events
        . [Wayland] When setting the pointer cursor apply it. (Fixes #555)
        . [Wayland] Hook the OutputManager into display reconfiguration
          notifications. (Fixes #585)
        . [Wayland] Remove hard coded values for output geometry (screen
          orientation and pixel arrangement). (Fixes #601)
        . [miral-kiosk] Don't allow apps to specify size of "maximized" windows.
          (Fixes #454)
        . [Mir-on-X] Fixed keyboard grab issue on Arch. (Fixes #549)
        . [eglstream-kms] Platform re-enabled, but no GL client support
        . [console] Fix VT switching with LinuxVirtualTerminal. (Fixes #499)
        . [console] Avoid breaking X11 desktops that have not claimed the VT
from
          logind. (Fixes #535, #539)
        . [console] LogindConsoleServices: Support VT switching. (Fixes #459)
        . [libmiral] Parents of the active window also have focus. (Fixes #522)
        . Fix "sanitize" builds
        . Racy shutdown in miral-tests and miral_wlcs_tests. (Fixes #543)
        . Fix a locale initialization crash on musl
        . [mesa] Use both id and drm_fd as output identifier for cursor buffer
          as we're not sure of the uniqueness of either. (Fixes #556)
        . [mesa] Disconnected hardware has no modes: invent a (slow) refresh
rate.
          (Fixes #587)
        . [input] Guess output for touchscreen (works with one of each).
          (Fixes #605)