To be clear, nvidia was never removed, as far as I can tell, but it was
installed and then nouveau selected as the default.  So, the upgrade
upgraded nvidia (which is fine), but then the default became nvidia
again.

Not sure what should really happen in this case, or if maybe selecting
nouveau should tear out all the nvidia bits.

** Summary changed:

- Upgrade installs Nvidia
+ Upgrade doesn't respect proprietary driver selection

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to software-properties in

  Upgrade doesn't respect proprietary driver selection

Status in software-properties package in Ubuntu:

  Upgraded Bionic to Cosmic with iso from 13/10.

  Prior to upgrading was using the nouveau driver.

  Had previously installed nvidia to test a recent SRU fix. Once I had
  tested the fix I had gone back to additional drivers to revert to
  nouveau. Attached 2 screenshots from during the b-c upgrade and post
  upgrade - I've now got nvidia installed once more.

  Package: software-properties-common 0.96.27
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu13
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Mon Oct 15 17:32:34 2018
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180824)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: software-properties
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to cosmic on 2018-10-14 (1 days ago)
  modified.conffile..etc.default.apport: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.default.apport: 2018-09-21T16:30:23.845026