Public bug reported:

I made a mistake when invoking sha1sum -c where I accidentally passed in
a sha256 checksum. It did not report any error message to me instead it
waited for input without alerting me to the problem.

Steps to reproduce:

Run "sha1sum -c" without any additional args in a terminal window. (So
it reads checksums and filenames from stdin).

Paste into the terminal a valid SHA256 checksum and a filename that is
present.

expected: Error message "sha1sum: 'standard input': no properly
formatted SHA1 checksum lines found"

actual: No output.

Seen in Ubuntu 18.04

** Affects: coreutils (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to coreutils in Ubuntu.

  no error message from sha1sum -c if given a different checksum

Status in coreutils package in Ubuntu: