Yeah, I think so.  Thanks.

   No dns resolution after closing a vpn/pptp connection

  DNS stops working when disconnecting PPTP VPN on desktop

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  On Cosmic I was testing some VPN setups.  I created a PPTP VPN connection to
my server.
  Everything connected and worked as it should.

  When I disconnect the VPN, DNS resolution stops working.

  Looking at "systemd-resolve --status" shows that the correct DNS
  server is listed for the interface  when the connection is torn down,
  and I can ping it.  Doing a nslookup setting the server to the IP
  address shown in --status shows that DNS resolution is working
  correctly.

  resolv.conf says nameserver 127.0.0.53

  Restart resolved makes things work again.
  (Also, restarting Network Manager makes it work again.)

  Trying to ping a hostname from the cli when in the broken state yields
  zero output from resolved logs when in debug mode.  Almost like it's
  not even hitting resolved, so this bug could very well be somewhere
  else.

  I've checked, and I can ping 127.0.0.1 and the default routes look OK,
  although there is a route to the VPN server left over.

  I'm all out of ideas.  Any ideas?