After looking for a while, I think that the error we were managing to
reproduce (LOWERLAYERDOWN) was probably a red herring, and we were
reproducing some other (valid) bug. The original cause of the testsuite
failure still exists.

Not entirely sure why but this only reproduces for me 'properly' when I
use the real autopkgtest cloud. It's quite reliable there, so I ran a
bisect and it resulted in this mail:

http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-
discuss/2018q4/012709.html

I freely admit my relative ignorance here, so if anyone can help please
feel free to chip in.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  network-manager dep8 failure blocks dnsmasq proposed migration

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in network-manager source package in Disco:

  dnsmasq 2.80-1 is blocked from migrating to the release pocket because
  of, amongst other things, a network-manager dep8 regression.