The bug is old and Ubuntu changed quite a lot since, there has also been
no activity here nor similar reports. Closing since we believe the issue
as described is deprecated but feel free to file a new report if you
still have problems in recent Ubuntu versions.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to sudo in Ubuntu.

  Hostname changes breaks application loading

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in sudo package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: hostname

  On 9.10 changing the hostname via the terminal breaks the loading of
  applications until a reboot. You can see this below:

  joseph@joseph-work:~$ nautilus

  (nautilus:2068): Eel-CRITICAL **: eel_preferences_get_boolean:
  assertion `preferences_is_initialized ()' failed

  [nautilus gives errors, but loads]

  joseph@joseph-work:~$ sudo hostname example
  sudo: unable to resolve host joseph-work

  [change hostname to example, complains about my previous hostname]

  joseph@joseph-work:~$ nautilus
  No protocol specified
  Could not parse arguments: Cannot open display:
  joseph@joseph-work:~$

  [Nautilus fails to open]