I *think* it's tracker because I'm using the `vanilla-gnome-desktop`
package which creates a plain Gnome Shell session, which I think uses
tracker in the Overview search (when pressing Super in Gnome Shell).

The search results I'm referring to appear within the "Files" header.

If I open a Nautilus window and try a recursive typeahead search, it is
able to find the files correctly.

        $> dpkg -l | grep tracker
        ii  gir1.2-tracker-2.0:amd64                     2.0.3-1ubuntu4
                      amd64        GObject introspection data for Tracker
        ii  kerneloops
0.12+git20140509-6ubuntu2                    amd64        kernel oops tracker
        ii  libtracker-control-2.0-0:amd64               2.0.3-1ubuntu4
                      amd64        library to control/monitor tracker miners
        ii  libtracker-miner-2.0-0:amd64                 2.0.3-1ubuntu4
                      amd64        tracker data miner library
        ii  libtracker-sparql-2.0-0:amd64                2.0.3-1ubuntu4
                      amd64        metadata database, indexer and search tool -
library
        ii  libwhoopsie-preferences0                     0.19
                      amd64        Ubuntu error tracker submission settings -
shared library
        ii  libwhoopsie0:amd64                           0.2.62
                      amd64        Ubuntu error tracker submission - shared
library
        ii  libxatracker2:amd64
18.0.5-0ubuntu0~18.04.1                      amd64        X acceleration
library -- runtime
        ii  tracker                                      2.0.3-1ubuntu4
                      amd64        metadata database, indexer and search tool
        ii  tracker-extract                              2.0.4-1
                      amd64        metadata database, indexer and search tool -
metadata extractors
        ii  tracker-miner-fs                             2.0.4-1
                      amd64        metadata database, indexer and search tool -
filesystem indexer
        ii  whoopsie                                     0.2.62
                      amd64        Ubuntu error tracker submission

Here's another example you can try (though I don't understand how often
tracker updates its database and sometimes it takes a few restarts for
tracker to output results at all):

        $> echo "test" > ~/foobar-foobaz
        $> tracker search -f "foobar-"
           Files:
        $> tracker search -f "foobar"
           Files:
             file:///home/alex/foobar-foobaz

Am I looking in the right place? Anything else I can provide?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to tracker in Ubuntu.

  Does not return results with files that have hyphens in the filename

Status in tracker package in Ubuntu:

  On Ubuntu 18.04 using the `vanilla-gnome-desktop` session (i.e. Gnome
  Shell), tracker does not return any files if there is a hyphen (-) in
  the search string.

  To recreate:

  - Create a file named `foo-bar`.

  - Press <Super> to open Overview.

  - Type foo. Observe that the `foo-bar` file appears.

  - Type foo-. Observe that the overview says "No results."

  This is a regression as files with hyphens in the filename were
  included in search results in 16.04.