> In reality,
> recursive search is useful, and I want to use it, but it's different to
> typeahead

Exactly, they are two completely different, unrelated things, and if the
Nautilus devs can't understand something as elementary as that, Ubuntu
shouldn't be using software developed by those people as the default
file explorer.

This issue is just one example; nautilus developers have taken quite a
few "design decisions" that are - ahem - let's say contrary to common
sense, degrading usability rather than improve things.

Keeping Nautilus as the file explorer means Ubuntu will have to keep
struggling with this sort of things and maintaining patches like this
one. Of course, if there's no better alternative out there (I find it
hard to believe that such a shitty file manager is the best available,
but I don't know, it might be), then it'll have to be this.

> I do think things will eventually go back this way
> (...) I do think Nautilus can satisfy everyone's preferences here

How long do we have to wait for them to recapacitate and revert breaking
stuff that had been designed correctly in the first place ages ago?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-settings in Ubuntu.

  restore type-ahead find

Status in Nautilus:
  Expired
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-settings package in Ubuntu:

  GNOME removed type-ahead find in Nautilus 3.6, not without
  controversy:

  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-
  list/2012-August/msg00002.html

  Now when you type in a Nautilus window, Nautilus immediately performs
  a search in the current directory and all its subdirectories.  I
  personally find this annoying.  If I want to search, I'll click the
  search icon.  Often I'm looking at a long directory listing and simply
  want to jump to a certain point in it, and type-ahead find works great
  for that.

  Would Ubuntu consider patching type-ahead find back in?