Same for me, it seems like whoopsie-preferences is not installed by
default

v@v-IdeaPad-U330p:~$ /usr/bin/gdbus call -y -d com.ubuntu.WhoopsiePreferences
-o \
/com/ubuntu/WhoopsiePreferences -m
com.ubuntu.WhoopsiePreferences.SetReportCrashes true

Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
com.ubuntu.WhoopsiePreferences was not provided by any .service files

It can be fixed by installing whoopsie-preferences
v@v-IdeaPad-U330p:~$ sudo apt-get install -y whoopsie-preferences

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to whoopsie-preferences in

  whoopsie can't remember "always report" setting

Status in whoopsie-preferences package in Ubuntu:

  After ticking the checkbox for whoopsie to automatically always send
  crash reports, I get the following error dialog (screenshot attached):

  *Can't remember send report status settings*
  Saving crash report state failed. Can't set auto or never reporting mode.
  Command '['/usr/bin/gdbus', 'call', '-y', '-d',
'com.ubuntu.WhoopsiePreferences', '-o', '/com/ubuntu/WhoopsiePreferences',
'-m', 'com.ubuntu.WhoopsiePreferences.SetReportCrashes', 'true']' returned
  non-zero exit status 1.

  I'm pretty sure this error happens because whoopsie-preferences was not
installed; afterwards I installed whoopsie-preferences and manually ran in a
terminal:
  $ /usr/bin/gdbus call -y -d com.ubuntu.WhoopsiePreferences -o
/com/ubuntu/WhoopsiePreferences -m
com.ubuntu.WhoopsiePreferences.SetReportCrashes true

  and got a return value of () but no errors or warnings.

  This computer was freshly-installed with Xubuntu 18.04 less than 2
  weeks ago... I've kept a record of everything I changed since then,
  and I've only removed five packages (sgt-puzzles, gnome-sudoku, gnome-
  mines, pidgin, mousepad).  If whoopsie-preferences is not included in
  a fresh install of (X)ubuntu, then perhaps it should be; in any case,
  if it isn't installed then the checkbox for making crash reporting
  automatic should not be visible.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      18.04

  $ apt-cache policy whoopsie