Public bug reported:

While trying to run Hunspell on the command line for the Bulgarian
locale, I get the following error:

  $ hunspell -d bg_BG
  error - iconv_open: UTF-8 -> microsoft-cp1251
  Hunspell 1.3.3

Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I guess the solution would be to reencode the dictionary as UTF-8?

I tried to supply the -i parameter, but without any luck.

Originally reported at: https://github.com/hunspell/hunspell/issues/458

And patched in that repo:
https://github.com/hunspell/hunspell/commit/3b837d8cb6125820202da9dc8721ffc92a7ce19b

The bug is still there in Linux Mint. Version info:

Linux version 4.15.0-45-generic (buildd@lgw01-amd64-031) (gcc version
7.3.0 (Ubuntu 7.3.0-16ubuntu3)) #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 29 16:28:13 UTC
2019

@(#) International Ispell Version 3.2.06 (but really Hunspell 1.6.2)

** Affects: hunspell (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to hunspell in Ubuntu.

  iconv error on command line for bg_BG on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Hunspell
  1.3.3

Status in hunspell package in Ubuntu: